Elektrobit and Audi EV partner to develop an in-car infotainment framework

Elektrobit and Audi Electronics Venture, 100% subsidiary of AUDI AG, are launching a joint venture on 1 July 2009, based in Gaimersheim, Germany. The joint venture will concentrate on the development of a software framework for in-vehicle infotainment systems. EB will hold a 51% stake in the new company, with AEV holding the remaining 49%.

The goal of this joint venture is to provide an infotainment framework and thereby enhance re-use of software for in-vehicle infotainment systems. EB and its long-term customer AUDI AG are combining their know-how in order to develop and establish this new infotainment framework. To this end, AUDI AG, through AEV will contribute four generations worth of in-vehicle infotainment experience and EB its knowledge as professional global software developer for infotainment and its expertise in software system integration.

EB believes that this infotainment framework will be attractive to the whole automotive industry, as it is designed to be hardware independent and due to its open interfaces it is interoperable with different system environments and applications. AUDI AG, as first customer, plans to implement key components of the infotainment framework in the next generation of the VW Group’s high-end infotainment system.

EB has exclusive rights to market the joint venture’s product. It complements EB’s existing in-vehicle infotainment product offering currently consisting of the HMI design environment EB GUIDE and navigation solution EB street director. EB intends to bring alive customized infotainment systems for its global automotive customers with its software product portfolio and integration services capability.

Read press release here.

Banner space