Smart mobility technology, which we have been developing over the years, is now a reality. ‘Cellular Vehicle-to-Everything’ (C-V2X) allows vehicles to both communicate with the cloud and also directly with each other and their surroundings. 4G LTE cellular technology, as well as the emerging 5G generation of high-speed and low latency communications, traffic will be optimized, and emissions will be reduced. Emergency services will navigate smoothly and road safety for everyone, including vulnerable road users, will dramatically enhance.
At a live demo event in Berlin, the 5G Automotive Association (5GAA) presented a deep-dive into smarter and safer mobility, giving a sneak peek of the technologies ready to be deployed. Prominent 5GAA members including BMW Group, Daimler, Deutsche Telekom, Fraunhofer Institutes FOKUS and ESK, Ford, Huawei, Jaguar Land Rover, Nokia, Qualcomm and Vodafone, demonstrated C-V2X Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V), Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) and Vehicle-to-Network (V2N) applications.
Using both direct short-range communications and mobile networks offers complementary capabilities as showcased in the demos, which involve tele-operated driving and the provision of emergency traffic information between vehicles using multi-access edge computing (MEC) functionality.
Summary on the 5GAA C-V2X use cases, showcased today at Berlin:
- Traffic Management Solutions: Signal Phase and Timing (SPaT) and Red-Light Violation Warning (RLVW) to Vehicle
- Traffic Management Solutions: Emergency Electronic Brake light (EEBL)/ Roadworks warning (RWW)
- Real Time Emergency Alerts: Vehicle-to-Network and Network-to-Vehicle services
- Live data capture and transmission: Expanded network/Vehicle-to-Network capacities via MEC
- Combined Network and Direct solution enables the pinnacle of C-V2X technology
- Remote-operated driving