Telenav, a provider of connected car and location-based platform services, announced that it will be powering the mapping function for the Mercedes-Benz COMAND Touch by Mercedes-Benz iOS app that remotely controls the COMAND Rear Seat Entertainment System. Using this system, passengers will be able to view navigation and route information as well as explore their surroundings on a map on iPad tablets. This mapping experience will be available globally and will be based on OpenStreetMap (OSM) data enhanced by the Telenav platform in all regions except China, which will use a local map provider. As optional equipment, the launch will be for the Mercedes-Benz E-class and the current Mercedes-Benz S-class.
The new map feature for rear seat entertainment gives passengers the convenience of syncing their route information, including distance and ETA to their destination, with the vehicle’s navigation system. Passengers will also enjoy the luxury of a fully interactive map experience, which includes:
- Destination input by passengers while drivers are driving their cars
- Quick search for points of interest (POIs) with the ability to send their selected POIs to the vehicle’s navigation system
- Visibility of the real-time navigation route
- Full zoom and pan controls of the map
- Offline maps, which are available even when there is no connectivity
- Maps that are regularly updated by the more than three million contributors in the OSM community and further enhanced by Telenav’s platform
The COMAND Touch by Mercedes-Benz iOS app is available for free at the Apple App Store, and is for iPads only.