Moovit, the Mobility as a Service (MaaS) company and the maker of the urban mobility app, is announcing its partnership with Waze Carpool, Waze’s community-based carpooling service – by commuters, for commuters. The complementary mobility companies – Moovit, with half a billion users, is the biggest platform made of public transit riders, and Waze Carpool, powered by Waze with the largest community of drivers on the planet, will empower commuters in the US, Brazil, Mexico, and Israel to ride together for an affordable and eco-friendly way to commute.
Moovit, known for its iOS, Android, and Web app which guides people in getting around town effectively and conveniently, is tapping into Waze’s extensive carpool driver community to offer users new mobility solutions. This initial pilot, gradually rolling out today to Android users in the US, Brazil, Mexico, and Israel is unique because it is driven by commuters, for commuters. Once matched with a Waze Carpool driver, Moovit users will be able to experience an affordable, convenient and enjoyable commute – with the first ride free for new riders.
Here’s how it works:
1. Plan the trip: Just like planning any trip on Moovit, users input their starting point and destination, as well as the time they would like to leave
2. Find a Waze driver: In the Suggested Routes screen, among Moovit’s other proposed transit and micro-mobility options, Moovit will display any Waze Carpool drivers matching that route at that time
3. Request a ride: Once Moovit users tap on the drive details, they will be directed to the Waze Carpool app where they can request to join the ride and get notified when the carpool is confirmed
4. Get ready to carpool: As the carpool begins, users can follow the driver’s progress to the pickup location using the Waze Carpool app
5. Reach your destination: Users can enjoy sharing the road and the costs to get to their destination