The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) unveiled the online
application for Phase 1 of the Charge Up New Jersey program, which provides up to a $5,000 incentive for the purchase of a new light-duty plug-in electric vehicle. The application and all program information can be found on the official website. The incentive is being provided through the state’s Plug-in Electric Vehicle Incentive Fund. The incentive program includes plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
The program applies to the purchase of any new light-duty plug-in electric vehicle with a final MSRP below $55,000. The vehicle must be purchased or leased and registered in the state of New Jersey. Phase 1 of the program will allow residents who purchased a vehicle on or after January 17 to apply for their EV incentive. Once Phase 2 is implemented dealers will be able to apply the incentive to the vehicle at the time of sale.
Additional requirements to participate in the incentive program include:
- Purchase or lease an eligible vehicle in New Jersey on or after January 17, 2020. A vehicle purchased, leased, or delivered out-of-state is not eligible for the incentive, including vehicles ordered online and delivered out-of-state;
- Applicants must be a resident of New Jersey at the time of purchase or lease. Active duty military members stationed in the state with permanent residency in another state, may apply. Current military orders will be accepted as proof of residency documentation. The program is limited to individuals only. Business, governments, and public entities are not eligible;
- Applicants are required to remain a resident of New Jersey for at least two (2) years after the purchase or lease of the eligible electric vehicle which receives an incentive under the Charge Up New Jersey program;
- Retain ownership or an active lease agreement and registration of the vehicle with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for a minimum 36 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date. Leased vehicles must reflect a minimum of 36 months on the original lease agreement; and
- Applicants may only receive up to four vehicle incentives from the Charge Up New Jersey program throughout the ten-year period the program is active.