Mazda Motor Corporation announced its new technology and product development policy towards 2030 based on the company’s long-term vision for technology development, “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030.” Based on the revised Medium-Term Management Plan and the endeavor for carbon neutrality by 2050, which were announced in the past year, Mazda shall proceed with technology and product development towards 2030 following the below policies.
Accumulation of technological assets in line with building block strategy and their utilization for highly efficient manufacturing
- Mazda has consistently followed its Building Block Strategy to efficiently deliver superior technologies by building up a set of fundamental technologies as “blocks”.
- This started with the development of “SKYACTIV Technology” in 2007 which updated their internal combustion engines. The basic electrification technologies were then added to compose the first building-block. Applicable to various products, this architecture became a technological asset to create a product group since 2012.
- The company is continuously enhancing their internal combustion engines (SKYACTIV-X and new straight-six engines) and electrification technologies as part of the “SKYACTIV Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture”, which is used in transverse power units in their Small Products and longitudinal power units in other large products. Based on this architecture, Mazda will deliver multiple electrification solutions to meet various customers’ needs, environmental regulations and the electric power generating infrastructure in a market.
- In addition, the company will introduce Mazda’s unique EV platform “SKYACTIV EV Scalable Architecture” in 2025 for EVs with various vehicle sizes and body types.
- Based on those strategies, Mazda will refine its highly-efficient development methods, namely Common Architecture, Bundled Planning and Model Based Development to enrich their technological assets for the full-scale electrification era with business partners.
Promotion of Electrification and Introduction of Products — Multi-solution Strategy
- The “SKYACTIV Multi-Solution Scalable Architecture” products to be introduced mainly for Japan, Europe, the US, China and ASEAN between 2022 and 2025 will consist of five hybrid models, five plug-in hybrid models and three EV models.
- In addition, several products with the “SKYACTIV Scalable EV Architecture” will be introduced between 2025 and 2030.
- Based on this product launch plan, Mazda assume that 100% of their products will have some level of electrification, and their EV ratio will be 25% by 2030.
Development of technologies for connected services and software technologies as a foundation for next-generation mobility services
- Mazda intends to fortify their initiatives of development of fundamental software technology in order to be able to accommodate for next-generation Mobility as a Service (Maas) and update vehicle functions Over the Air (OTA).
- Five Japanese OEM companies including Mazda will jointly develop standard engineering specifications of next-generation in-vehicle communication devices to push for a standardized communication system in order to provide safer and stress-free connected services sooner.
- The company will push forward with the development of next-generation Electric/Electronic Architecture (EEA), which will enable speedy processing of data from inside and outside a vehicle.
Human-centered development philosophy in a time defined by Carbon Neutrality and CASE
- The Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030 vision places the individual at the center of three areas. The planet, society and humanity. Mazda will continue to follow their human-centered development philosophy, which values the humanity and inherent potential of people, into a future where carbon neutrality and CASE are defining the industry.
- By providing vehicles that support people in realizing their full potential, the company aims to realize a sustainable and compassionate society.