Polestar has announced a new strategic joint venture for the China market with Xingji Meizu Group, a technology company based in the region.

For the automaker, the new joint venture will work to boost its footing in the Chinese EV market – bringing together its design and performance capabilities with Xingji Meizu’s experiences in the development of software and consumer electronics hardware. For Xingji Meizu, the joint venture will develop Flyme Auto – its existing technology platform – into a seamless OS for Polestar EVs sold in China. The OS is currently being integrated into several EVs, including the Lynk & Co 08 and will include tailored in-car applications, streaming services, and intelligent vehicle software. Polestar expects to transfer around 130 commercial staff in China to the new company, which will become its sole authorized sales and service entity in the market.

The Volvo Cars brand has confirmed that it will own 49% of the joint venture company equity, with the remaining 51% to be owned by Xingji Meizu. While detailing its new joint venture, the brand reaffirmed its commitment to its existing collaboration with Google – confirming that its vehicles outside of China will continue to feature infotainment systems powered by Android Automotive OS.